Johnny Depp is an American actor and musician who has been a major Hollywood star for over three decades. He was born John Christopher Depp II on June 9, 1963, in Owensboro, Kentucky, United States. He is the youngest of four children of Betty Sue Palmer (née Wells), a waitress, and John Christopher Depp, a civil engineer. Depp has English, Irish, and German ancestry.
Depp had a tumultuous childhood; his parents divorced when he was 15 years old. After dropping out of school, he pursued a career in music, playing guitar and singing in a rock band. He also worked as a telemarketer, a pen salesman, and a pen salesman before breaking into acting.
Depp’s breakout role came in the 1980s when he played the lead role of Officer Tom Hanson in the popular television show “21 Jump Street.” He then went on to star in a number of successful films, including “Edward Scissorhands,” “Donnie Brasco,” “Sleepy Hollow,” and the “Pirates of the Caribbean” film series.
Depp has been nominated for numerous awards, including three Academy Awards, and has won multiple awards, including a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor for his role in “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” and the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role for his role in “Black Mass.”
In addition to his acting career, Depp is also a talented musician and has played guitar with a number of bands, including Hollywood Vampires and P, a collaboration with musician and producer Butthole Surfers’ Gibby Haynes. He is also known for his philanthropic efforts, including his work as a goodwill ambassador for the International Red Cross.
Johnny Depp Movies
Some of Johnny Depp’s most notable film roles include:
- “Edward Scissorhands” (1990) – Depp played the lead role of Edward, a man with scissors for hands who a family takes in after living alone in a castle for years.
- “Donnie Brasco” (1997) – Depp played the role of Joseph D. “Joe” Pistone, an undercover FBI agent who infiltrates the Bonanno crime family in New York City.
- “Sleepy Hollow” (1999) – Depp played the role of Ichabod Crane, a New York City detective who is sent to Sleepy Hollow to investigate a series of murders.
- “Pirates of the Caribbean” film series (2003-2017) – Depp played the lead role of Captain Jack Sparrow, a swashbuckling pirate who goes on a series of adventures on the high seas.
- “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” (2005) – Depp played the lead role of Willy Wonka, the eccentric owner of a chocolate factory.
- “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” (2007) – Depp played the lead role of Sweeney Todd, a barber who seeks revenge on the people who wronged him.
- “Alice in Wonderland” (2010) – Depp played the lead role of the Mad Hatter, an eccentric character who helps Alice navigate the strange world of Wonderland.
- “Black Mass” (2015) – Depp played the lead role of James “Whitey” Bulger, a notorious Boston gangster.
- “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” (2016) – Depp played the role of Gellert Grindelwald, a dark wizard who threatens the wizarding world.
Depp has also appeared in numerous other films throughout his career, including “Cry-Baby,” “Benny & Joon,” “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,” and “Public Enemies,” among others.
Johnny Depp Movies List
Here is a list of Johnny Depp movies with hyperlinks to more information about each film:
- “A Nightmare on Elm Street” (1984) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087800/
- “Platoon” (1986) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091763/
- “Cry-Baby” (1990) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099486/
- “Edward Scissorhands” (1990) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099487/
- “Benny & Joon” (1993) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107362/
- “Donnie Brasco” (1997) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119008/
- “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” (1998) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120669/
- “Sleepy Hollow” (1999) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162661/
- “Chocolat” (2000) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241303/
- “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl” (2003) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325980/
- “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” (2005) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367594/
- “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” (2007) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408236/
- “Public Enemies” (2009) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152836/
- “Alice in Wonderland” (2010) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014759/
- “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” (2011) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1298650/
- “Dark Shadows” (2012) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/
- “The Lone Ranger” (2013) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1210819/
- “Transcendence” (2014) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2209764/
- “Black Mass” (2015) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1355683/
- “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” (2016) – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3183660/
This list includes some of Depp’s most notable films, but it is not a complete list of all the movies he has appeared in. Depp has acted in many other films throughout his career, including “Dead Man,” “The Brave,” “Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail ’72,” and “The Lone Ranger,” among others.
Johnny Depp Net Worth
It is estimated that Johnny Depp has a net worth of around $200 million. Depp has had a successful and lucrative career as an actor, appearing in numerous blockbuster films and television shows. He is one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood, and has earned millions of dollars for his roles in films like the “Pirates of the Caribbean” series, “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” and “Alice in Wonderland.”
In addition to his acting career, Depp has also earned money from his music career, as he is a talented musician and has played with a number of bands over the years. He has also made money through endorsements and other business ventures.
Despite his success, Depp has faced financial challenges in recent years. In 2017, he filed a lawsuit against his former business managers, alleging that they mismanaged his money and left him in debt. He has also had legal troubles, including a high-profile divorce from actress Amber Heard and a lawsuit with a former bodyguard.
Johnny Depp Scandal
In recent years, Johnny Depp has been involved in a number of scandals.
In 2016, Depp’s marriage to actress Amber Heard ended in divorce, and during the divorce proceedings, Heard accused Depp of domestic abuse. Depp denied the allegations, but the accusations and the subsequent court case received widespread media attention.
In 2020, Depp was involved in a high-profile defamation lawsuit against the British newspaper The Sun, which had published an article calling him a “wife-beater” in reference to the allegations made by Heard. During the trial, both Depp and Heard testified about their relationship and the alleged incidents of abuse. In November 2020, the judge ruled in favor of The Sun, finding that the article’s accusations were “substantially true.” Depp appealed the decision.
In addition to the domestic abuse allegations and the defamation lawsuit, Depp has also faced other legal issues in recent years. In 2019, he was sued by his former bodyguard for unpaid wages and damages. Depp has also faced financial challenges, including a lawsuit against his former business managers for alleged mismanagement of his money.
Depp has also faced criticism for some of his actions and statements. In 2018, he made controversial comments about assassinating President Donald Trump, which led to backlash and calls for him to be fired from the “Fantastic Beasts” film series. Depp later apologized for the comments.
Johnny Depp Personal Life
Johnny Depp has had a tumultuous personal life and has been involved in a number of high-profile relationships and marriages.
Depp was married to actress Lori Anne Allison from 1983 to 1985. He was then engaged to actress Jennifer Grey, but the couple eventually called off the engagement.
In 1990, Depp married actress Lori Anne Allison. The couple divorced in 1985.
Depp has been involved in a number of high-profile relationships, including a relationship with actress Winona Ryder and a marriage to actress Amber Heard. Depp and Heard were married in 2015, but their marriage ended in divorce in 2016 amid allegations of domestic abuse made by Heard against Depp.
Depp has four children: Lily-Rose, Jack, and two from his relationship with Vanessa Paradis, Lily-Rose and John “Jack” Christopher Depp III.
Depp is known for his love of music and has played guitar with a number of bands over the years, including Hollywood Vampires and P, a collaboration with musician and producer Butthole Surfers’ Gibby Haynes. He is also known for his philanthropic efforts, including his work as a goodwill ambassador for the International Red Cross.